When you’re sat at the table tucking in to your dinner it can be hard to say no to those big, brown puppy dog eyes looking up at you but what is tasty and even nutritious to humans can be extremely dangerous for our dogs. Foods that are suitable for human consumption can be toxic and poisonous to dogs and feeding them certain foods can be fatal, leading to serious health issues and in some cases death.
Here are five foods dogs should not eat and foods that you must never feed your dog.:
Contains a toxic ingredient, theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. The amount of theobromine chocolate contains depends of the sort it is, darker chocolate contains higher theobromine levels, but it is still present in milk chocolate. Humans can easily break down theobromine, but your dog’s system can’t as they process it much slowly which causes it to build up to toxic levels. Theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. If your dog consumes any sort of chocolate then you will notice symptoms around four to twenty-four hours after consumption and symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures. You must contact your vet immediately. Never give your dog chocolate as a reward and keep them away from caffeinated drinks too.
Onions & Garlic
Garlic as well as onions, shallots, leeks and chives are all classified as a species of the Allium family. If dogs consume any foods from the Allium species, then it can cause a condition known as Heomolytic Anaemia which causes the red blood cells to undergo a chemical attack and reduced ability to deliver oxygen to the body. Toxicity can occur whether they are fresh, cooked or in a dry, powdered format such as in spices. Symptoms would most likely occur one to three days after the anaemia develops and these include: pale gums, collapsing, weakness, difficulty breathing and lethargy. You may notice your dog has red urine and yellow eyes from the pigments released by the destruction of the red blood cells.
Known as a superfood to humans, avocado contains a toxin known as persin which is toxic to your dog and can cause mastitis, heart failure and in most extreme cases, death. Persin is most concentrated in the leaves of the plant but also known in the seeds, stem and fruit. The pit of the avocado is the biggest danger to dogs as, not only does it contain high levels of persin but it also a choking hazard if swallowed and causes a blockage in the gastrointestinal tract. If consumed symptoms present would include: vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. You must contact your vet urgently if consumed.
Grapes & Raisins
The exact substance that grapes and raisins contain to cause toxic reaction is not yet known however, small amounts have proven to be fatally toxic for your dog. Even though the toxin has not yet been identified it is believed to be associated with the flesh of the fruit. If your dog consumes grapes or raisins then these symptoms will be known: Vomiting and diarrhoea (within a few hours of indigestion), loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, seizures, dehydration, passing small amount of urine (Oliguria).
Containing a natural sweetener known as Xylitol which can cause low blood sugar and in severe cases, liver failure. Low blood sugar can be fatal to your dog as it can cause them to faint or have seizures. Toothpaste, baked goods and gum all contain Xylitol and it is crucial that you don’t delay and contact your vet immediately if your dog consumes anything with Xylitol in as it can be absorbed in the blood stream rapidly. Symptoms can start anywhere between half an hour of consumption and up to twelve hours and include: vomiting, lethargy, disorientation, seizures, tremors and in more extreme cases comas.
Make sure to only give your dog foods designed specifically for them, such as our high-quality dog treats and dog food. If your dog does consume any foods they shouldn’t then it is always advised you contact your vet immediately and the will help you with the steps for recovery.